ok, once again, don't take my word as gospel for this but i feel that God is telling me something here.
1. i honestly have no idea why this parably was only recorded by luke. maybe it touched luke in a different way than it touched the others, but i have no idea.
2. i think that the father might have symbolised God in this parable and considering there is only 1 god and there is no Mrs God, then maybe there is no need for a mother.
3. for sure, this story has many parallels and i think that it relates to many other stories in the bible as well.
4. i feel that the prodigal son was treated better than when he left. he was treated as royalty and we can see this by the gifts that the fther gives him. shoes for the feet, the ring, and the best robes.
5. the older son didn't get a party, because he already had everything that the father owned. would you want a party every time you see a non-christian come to the Lord? i'm not havinmg a dig at u here but im just showing how this relates to other examples in life.
once again, don't take my word for gospel, but i hope this gives u a better view of things